Although essential tremor is not fatal, it can be very stressful for individuals who suffer from it; particularly for those with severe symptoms. Simple activities such as eating, writing, or taking a glass of water can be quite challenging and disappointing. As the condition advances, tremor symptoms become more noticeable, making an individual feel anxious and uncomfortable in social situations, which only worsens the situation. Apart from medication, there are many practical tips, which can assist you improve your quality of life and cope with tremor. Here are some tips to make living with essential tremor easier.
1. Educate Yourself about Essential Tremor
• Gather information concerning essential tremor and learn the different ways of living with the condition.
• Be an active participant in your treatment, and consult with your doctor. Being well informed of your condition makes it easy for you to adapt and lessen the effects of tremor.
• Ensure you get enough rest and sleep since fatigue often worsens a tremor.
2. Eating, Drinking, Food Preparation
• Consider using heavier cups instead of light-weight ones. Using heavier utensils can at times minimize tremors.
• If using a small glass or mug, place your fingers on the bottom and put your thumb on the rim.
• Take your beverages from half-filled cups or glasses. Use of straws makes drinking easier.
• Avoid foods that have caffeine such as coffee, chocolate, and tea.
• Avoid or reduce alcohol consumption.
• Consider using plates that have vertical edges or purchase rubber bumper guards to put around the sides of your plates to help you scoop your food easily.
3. Personal Care
• Shave with an electric razor.
• Get a manicurist care for your nails.
• When flossing your teeth, consider using disposable floss holders.
• Seek assistance in doing your mending, sewing on buttons, and threading needles.
• For better control while brushing your teeth use an electric or a child’s toothbrush.
• Apply mascara by placing your elbows on the table. Place the wand in one hand and use the other to maintain the wand steady.
• Rest your elbows on a table when wearing earrings. Put your chin on a tip up facial tissue case to stabilize your head if you experience head tremors.
• Consider Printing instead of writing a script.
• Position your forearm on a desk while writing.
• Place the pen between your middle and index finger.
• Use wider, heavier writing tools.
• Use a phone with large buttons.
• When using your phone, you should consider using a speakerphone, headphones or Bluetooth device.
• Use voice-activated dialing if present on your mobile phone.
• Install speech-recognition software on your computers.
• When purchasing a digital camera, select one having image stabilization technology.
6. Airport Security
• Have ample time to arrive well before taking your flight to avoid rushing through the security check. Also, ensure that you have your ID and required documents ready before going through the security.
• Place things like coins, keys, and cell phone, into a plastic bag earlier so it is simpler to put in the security tray.